Monday, April 24, 2017

Beginning Bibliotherapy

Confession:  Last week was horrible. 

I don’t really have the energy to blog.  But I thought maybe I could share some books that cheer me up.  You know, a top ten list of my Bibliotherapy favorites?  Here’s what I’ve got. 

1. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  Kids’ books count, y’all, and this one is an absolute delight. Part allegory, part quest, part punster’s dream, this book never fails to make me laugh.  I found it as an adult, actually, reading it to my kids.  But now I recommend it to everyone I can. Like you!  Enjoy.
2. Julio Cortázar’s Blow-Up and Other Stories.  Even though some of these have a dark edge to them, many of them are so surreal that I find myself able to dissociate their tragedy from mine, which is a step to looking more clinically at my own problems and sorting them out.  I particularly recommend “Axolotl,” “The Night Face-Up,” and “Letter to a Young Lady from Paris.”  You won’t regret it.
3. Fairy Tales.  Most will do, but here I’ll recommend a lovely collection of Baba Yaga tales; nothing makes you feel back on your game like overcoming a witch, over and over again.  Baba Yaga: The Wild Witch of the East in Russian Fairy Tales translated by Sibelan Forrester.
4. Rainer Maria Rilke’s Letters to a Young Poet.  These are searing, beautifully written letters, that I discovered in college when I needed them most.  I still return to them, and they never fail to soothe.
5. Poetry by John Keats or W.B Yeats.  Not just because their names visually rhyme.  Because their speak of beauty like a friend, and to read them is to feel connected to that transcendence.

Ok.  5, not 10.  But it’s a start.  Spenser only wrote half of the Faerie Queene too.

But what would you add?  Do you have a book you recommend to make people feel better? Bibliotherapy is becoming a thing, you know, and we need to be ready with our prescriptions.  

2 comments:

  1. I know for me in times of stress or turmoil I often turn to Terry Pratchett, or if I have the time Tolkien. "The Hobbit" always takes me back to being 8 years old and reading aloud with my dad.But sometimes if I really need to be transported out of myself, that's the best time to dive into a different pool and read something completely new - Cixin Liu got me through the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner! That's proof of how off I've been; I usually really hope for comments here. So thanks. Pratchett is a great idea. We've been listening to the Sam Vimes novels on road trips together, and I agree that Tolkien can always transport me. I'll have to check out Cixin Liu!

    ReplyDelete